Sunday, January 20, 2008

Uranium Mine Owners conduct Phone Poll

(From the Heartland of Virginia Blog)
I Was Polled on Uranium Mining
(Our Mission:
"Our Primary Objective Is To Be More Than A Provider Of Research Services - We Want To Be Strategic Partners With Our Clients."
- Jan van Lohuizen, Ph.D. President (Voter Consumer Research))
Last Sunday, I was polled by telephone on the subject of uranium mining in Virginia. Coles Hill, which is loaded with 110 million pounds of uranium, has been proposed by Virginia Uranium to site a mine. It is located in Pittsylvania County, near the North Carolina border, and with Danville as its neighbor.
The mine proposal has generated a lot of discussion and interest from a widely divergent group of people. I first read about it in the local paper in an AP dispatch, last September. Uranium mining is illegal in Virginia, and to change that, some action will need to be taken on the questions of safety, environmental concerns, and impact on the area.
So, on to the poll. First, my wife answered the phone, and they wanted to talk to a male. That would be me. Here is a list of what was asked as much as I can remember:
Have I heard of the uranium project? Yes.
Do you know (mumble) Coles? No.
Are you familiar with Tim Kaine? Yes.
Did you vote for Tim Kaine? Yes.
Are you familiar with Frank Ruff? Yes.
Did you vote for Frank Ruff? No.
Are you familiar with Watkins Abbitt? Yes.
Did you vote for Watkins Abbitt? No.
Would you be in favor of the uranium mining if the GA undertook a study to make sure it was done correctly? No.
Why? Because I would not feel confident that the GA could handle all the complex issues involved.
Would you mind telling us what party you are in? No, I don't mind. I am a Democrat.
Thank you.
I finished by asking who they are, and she told me VCR (Voter Consumer Research). So far I have not found anything to complain about with VCR. Their website is sparse, but informative.
I also am not in favor of uranium mining in Virginia, because the mine would be under Federal regulations. I do not trust the MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration)right now, not at all.
Did you get this poll or a similar one? Was it done only in this area, or statewide? please leave any details of your polling contacts in the comments.

No comments: